Foremost, gotta give over some space to the firefighters that died this week. I didn’t want to post until more was known. Not that a whole lot is known yet, but initially almost nothing ever is known and lots of what you hear is just wrong.
Here’s part of what is known and the link to it. Lots of fellow Oregonians there. It’s hard on the firefighter community – you know it is a risk but it is still hard. My thoughts and prayers for them and their families. – LK
Nine Presumed Dead in California Fire Helicopter Crash
WEAVERVILLE, California, August 7, 2008 (ENS) – Fire raging through dense forest on a steep hillside in the Shasta-Trinity National Forest is making it impossible for crews to recover the bodies of nine firefighters who are missing and presumed dead after the crash of a firefighting helicopter about 35 miles northwest of Redding.The Sikorsky S-61 contract helicopter assigned to the Iron Complex of fires on the Shasta-Trinity National Forest crashed at about 7:45 pm local time Tuesday during takeoff.
A team from the National Transportation Safety Board is investigating the crash, which occurred in extremely steep terrain with limited and difficult access within the Trinity-Alps Wilderness area. [more…]
Along the lines of fires, here’s a link to a beautiful (and real) fire photo. I don’t know many firefighters that could look at this picture and not say “Wow.”
Freedom of Cleverness
NOTE: This next section was meant to be a lot of deep profound cool stuff that pushes the boundaries out. It didn’t turn out quite like that but I’m not altogether unhappy with the result.
You know, I hate the expression “think outside the box” because cliches tend to pen people in as well (and make you look somewhat like an ass). Let’s just call these other people free thinkers. They are not constrained and see the world differently. You can’t sit down and say “I’m going to come up with something of a quantum leap idea today.” Some people get them often. Some never do. But you NEVER will it into existence on-demand. Some ideas aren’t of the advance-the-world-for-mankind variety. It’s creativity, man!
- Here’s a first example of what I mean. This is just… elegant. It’s new. It is useful. It is intuitive once you grasp the concept, and the uninitiated pick it up in no time at all.
- Example two… why, WHY would anyone think (1) to do this, and (2) that it would WORK? Laminar Reverse Flow, people. Remember it! It could save your life. It might kill you. Who knows? Go check out the video. The pic below is just a teaser.
- A third example is the type of individual that thinks of trying things that no one in their right mind would do. Yes, you can dip your finger into a glass of liquid nitrogen (I have) and no harm will come to you (the heat capacity of LN2 is abysmally low and you vaporize a protective layer easily if you don’t dawdle). But these people fall into another category entirely, kind of like the much-debated (as in, did it really exist) native indian vertical chest suspension, AKA, O-Kee-Pa. Dipping one’s fingers in molten lead is a leap I don’t think I’d take. I have, however, touched a piece of orange-hot space tile and it is [expletive deleted] surreal.
- This gets an honorable mention because it is cool. I’d never have thought to do it and most of us stop at the sophomoric level of “wash me :)” But while this is undeniably a waste of time, it is art.
- Thinking way-way-way out there, more in terms of how to paint a big red bulls-eye on one’s chest, is Plebian’s hilarious and partially unfortunate accounting in “A Day Chock Full of Life in Huntsville”. Actually his blog entry is titled “Batting 1.000”, which is probably better. I love Huntsville and next time I’m there, I’m going to look for that little toy store, right after a trip to Nolan’s Open Pit BBQ.
- If only this could have been made to work. How amazingly suited for men is that, huh? Waterproof furniture…
- Here’s some free thinking that just might get you that free ass-kicking you’ve been dying for.
Unclassifiable, I think.
UPDATE: Kwame gets slapped again. Bitch-slapped.
Update #2 – Oil bubble popping… (gasp) Speculation did this? Say it ain’t so!!!
I don’t know where to put this one.
I have no idea what the hell this is about either. The pig didn’t cook nearly long enough for my tastes.
To tweak DoublePlus Undead’s nose, here’s an interesting tattoo. Laugh, buddy, I’m funnin’ ya.
If you have had a HELL of a time getting NDISWrapper to work on your version of Linux (Wi-Fi for me on Fedora is nonexistent still, even after many builds), this might be an answer. If I try it and it works I will let you know. Or if you try it and it works, let ME know. I’m dual-boot w/ Grub2, default to Winders, and FC6 as my latest favored flavor.
Read Full Post »